July 3, 2017

Post-Crisis Pull List - December 18th, 1986

December 18th, 1986
DC published 10 comics, I read 4 of them

Issue of the Week:
Booster Gold (1986) 14 - "A Future Lost" (Dan Jurgens, Mike DeCarlo) 

Since last month was a close call between this title and Adventures of Superman and I find myself feeling the same way, I'll go with Booster Gold this time. The foursome from the 20th Century stuck in the 25th has split into pairs: Booster and Trixie; Jack Soo and Rip Hunter. The latter group manages to repair Skeets... and that's about the only good thing that happens for our heroes this issue. It ends with everyone in police custody and Booster scheduled for execution! I know he'll get out of it, but I don't know how and I'm looking forward to finding out. 4/5

The Rest: 

Adventures of Superman (1939) 426 -  "From the Dregs..." (Marv Wolfman, Jerry Ordway)  

Legends Crossover Chapter 18. This continues from Superman, last week. I gave that issue a 5 out of 5 and if you glance ahead you'll see I'm going one lower for this installment. While there's a good chance that any comic with art by Jerry Ordway will rate at least "really liked it" for that aspect alone, that wasn't the only thing I enjoyed about "From the Dregs..." After all, it was also scripted by one of favorite writers and takes place on Apokolips, a place I really like to visit... ah, in comic books only, that is. And it starts of with Superman being fished out of one of that planet's many fire pits! So, why the deduction of a point? Sometimes, I think it may be because I'm not always crazy about stories that feature the Man of Steel under someone or something's control and the costume he wears while under this influence is so NOT a good look. But, hey, 4 out of 5 is still a great score in my book. 4/5

Green Lantern Corps (1960) 210 - "See Red" (Steve Englehart, Joe Staton, Mark Farmer) 

As Kilowog and Guy Gardner fight over the skies of Russia, both the government of the land below them and that of the United States are on red alert. Russia actually launches a bunch of missiles at the U.S. due to the actions of the Green Lanterns and the ring-wielders have to contain them. I don't have a problem with the team of Green Lanterns being Earth-based in this era, but seeing them get caught up in the middle of politics with real politicians of the era just doesn't really float my lodka. Still, the storytelling is of good quality and Staton's art is nice. 3/5

Infinity Inc. (1984) 36 - "Chaos in Calgary" (Roy Thomas / Danette Thomas, Todd McFarlane, Tony DeZuniga) 

All of these issues this week continue a story; all of them save for Adventures of Superman continue from the month prior. So, it's no wonder I'm feeling a little bit like I'm repeating myself. The Infinitors are still in Canada, I still like the characters involved and the plot isn't terrible, but the McFarlane art still dampens my enthusiasm considerably. (I feel compelled to add that I do like McFarlane's Marvel work and Spawn.) 3/5

Also Published by DC: Adventures of the Outsiders 43, Elvira's House of Mystery Special 1, New Teen Titans 29, Swamp Thing 58, Warlord 115, Who's Who 25 

My thanks to the site Mike's Amazing World of Comics without which this project would not be possible. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment